- To advise the authorities on all matters concerned with the promotion of advanced studies and research in the University
- Consider and report to the authorities on the institution of research degrees in the University
- Propose regulations regarding the award of research degrees
- Appoint supervisors for research students and determine the subjects of their thesis.
- Recommend panels of names of paper setters and examiners for evaluation of the thesis and other research matters.
- Perform such other functions as may be prescribed by Statutes
- Approval of research proposals of MPhil/MS and Ph.D. synopsis, thesis, and dissertation