Brief History: The Department of Environmental Science was approved by the 3rd academic council meeting dated December 11, 2019. Baltistan region covers a diversity of natural recourses. This region could become an opportunities due to its distinctive diversity. The people of Baltistan region, particularly the students Baltistan region are demanding to establish Environmental Sciences department at the University of Baltistan, Skardu so that they could get access to higher education. Due to global warming Gilgit-Baltistan is facing the problems of rapid glacier melting, water scarcity, urbanization, air pollution, species extinction, deforestation, and land degradation. Based on the geographic location of the area, it is important to know the challenges of natural hazards like flash floods, avalanches, and land sliding to combat future challenges. Anthropogenic stresses like an outbreak of water-borne diseases, fossil fuel burning, disturbances of natural habitat by illegal hunting and poaching. Such issues need to be addressed via the platform of university.
Environmental Sciences is an exciting and rapidly developing subject. Where living and non-living systems are all interconnected and interact at a variety of spatial and temporal scales, from molecular level to the level of ecosystem. People rely on the Environmental Sciences to understand and successfully manage environmental issues, health, and sustainability challenges facing by the societies in twenty-first century. This subject explores ways in which scientists work collaboratively and individually in a range of integrated fields to increase understanding of an ever-expanding body of environmental knowledge. Students will develop their investigative, analytical, and communication skills by working in the field, laboratories, and research through investigations of living and non-living systems. They will be enabled to development & ethics through applications, and influences Environmental & contemporary knowledge through various contexts of current changing scenarios like global warming, climate change, water issues, and desertification.
- Innovative and transformative research in Environmental Sciences
- Excellent education for future environmental scientists and for the general public
- Service to humanity through expansion and dissemination of environmental knowledge
- To meeting global challenges in supplies of natural resources, mitigation of natural hazards, protection of the environment, and public awareness of science
- To create and effectively disseminate fundamental knowledge about earth, its resources, and the processes by which it changes
- To train students and future leaders, and educate the public in the field of environmental sciences
- To integrate, synthesize, and apply scientific and engineering knowledge to societal problems, such as;
- the sustainable use of energy, food and water
- the identification and mitigation of risks posed by natural hazards
- the consequences of human activities on climate systems and the environment.
The department will offer the Post graduate Diploma (PGD) program in near future